- Infrastructure automation, Linux deployment/provisioning, configuration management, HPC, virtualization/cloud computing, scalable web services
- Tools: AWS (S3, EC2), Chef, Jenkins, Puppet, Capistrano, HAProxy, Varnish
Chef Software, Inc. - Seattle, WA
Customer Architect (Remote) - May 2016 to Present
- Partner with Customer Success Managers and customer leadership to design solutions and define automation roadmaps for enterprise customers.
- Collaborate with Chef teams including product, marketing, and professional services to best guide customers and act as a champion for customer needs.
- Leverage deep DevOps technical knowledge to accelerate implementations and deployments.
- Develop technical materials for Customer Success practice at Chef.
Chef Software, Inc. - Seattle, WA
Solutions Engineer (San Francisco Bay Area and Remote) - January 2014 to April 2016
- Provide consulting services in the use of Chef’s software, cookbook development, and custom implementation code. Train individuals and groups on the usage of Chef and related software in enterprise environments.
- Advise customers on DevOps best practices, open source tooling, enterprise IT patterns.
- Collaborate with other teams within Chef in feature development, marketing/sales efforts, and community efforts.
Bitcasa, Inc. - Mountain View, CA
Senior Systems Engineer - June 2013 to January 2014
- Built Chef practice/workflow with Berkshelf, Jenkins, test-kitchen and other best of class tools.
- Built continuous integration/deployment workflow for Golang and python applications.
- Worked with engineering team to launch developer API and other new features.
Ooyala Inc. - Mountain View, CA
Senior Site Reliability Engineer - February 2013 to June 2013
Site Reliability Engineer - October 2010 to February 2013
- Served as embedded SRE with Backlot team and Monetization team. Launched several products including publisher APIs, publisher UI components, and server-side ad integrations.
- Deployed geo-distributed infrastructure for v2 playback APIs.
- Supported Distributed Systems team on geo-distributed FTP/Aspera data ingestion services and GlusterFS interim file storage backend.
- Involved with all aspects of production operations stack, including: monitoring, alerting, capacity planning, deployments, incident response.
University of California, San Diego - La Jolla, CA
Programmer/Analyst IV - McCammon Research Group - November 2009 to October 2010
- Supported scientific applications in a heavy HPC environment for McCammon Research Laboratory in close coordination with the NIH National Biomedical Computational Resource and the NSF Center for Theoretical Biological Physics.
- Provided leadership, policy planning, and design support for research computing. Responsible for the technical management for HPC systems, and frontend and backend servers, research laboratories, data facilities, security, management, and backup.
Programmer/Analyst IV - Center for Research in Biological Systems - March 2009 to November 2009
Programmer/Analyst III - Center for Research in Biological Systems - March 2006 to March 2009
- Designed infrastructure and provided advanced technical direction for complex database software systems across many platforms in a distributed computing environment. Assembled the system software distribution for various projects and oversee all levels of system administration support, systems installation, and maintenance.
- Served as top-level technical expert in development, deployment, modification, and testing of the complex software system of the BIRN, NCMIR, CRBS, and CAMERA projects.
- Used Puppet along with other open-source and commercial tools to provide a complete infrastructure management system. Used the NPACI Rocks distribution system to manage HPC cluster configurations.
Programmer/Analyst II - Chemistry Biochemistry Computer Facility - February 2004 to March 2006
Programmer/Analyst I - Chemistry Biochemistry Computer Facility - May 2002 to February 2004
- Provided extensive end user assistance for Linux, Windows, MacOS in a helpdesk environment. Assisted both technical and non-technical academic staff. Served as lead Linux support engineer.
- Implemented several services for departmental usage including: webmail server, Flash Communications Server, Snort IDS.
- Assembled an 80-node Rocks Linux computational cluster for The Center for Theoretical Biological Physics. Cluster ranked #408 on the top500.org November 2003 list. Served as team lead on hardware installation.
Programmer/Analyst I - California Space Institute - October 2000 to May 2002
- Provided extensive user support for a variety of software packages including Microsoft Office, Eudora, Internet Explorer, and Netscape.
- Maintained servers on a Windows 2000/NT domain. Managed domain user accounts, network printers, and network storage. Secured and deployed a high availability Red Hat Linux based web server cluster.
- Installed, upgraded, troubleshot, and configured PC hardware and network hardware including ethernet hubs, switches, and cabling on a 10/100/Gigabit network.
- Developed a Windows 2000 Professional standard software distribution for a 30 workstation network using Symantec Ghost and Microsoft Sysprep.
2001 University of California, San Diego
Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
- Red Hat Certified Engineer - April, 2003
- Linux Professional Institute Certified Level 2 - December, 2003
1999-2001 Track and Field, UCSD
- Captain during 2000-2001 season
- Volunteer coach at 2000 San Diego Inner-city Games
2007-2010 Sierra Club, San Diego
- Chapter Outings Leader, level 1
- Muir College Provost Honors
- “The Hound of the Baskervilles effect: natural experiment on the influence of psychological stress on timing of death” David P Phillips, George C Liu, Kennon Kwok, Jason R Jarvinen, Wei Zhang, and Ian S Abramson BMJ 2001; 323: 1443-1446.